What do I do if I am using septic tanks?
Soils, drain field, septic tank, and building information must be reviewed and approved by the Health Department. Please call the Health Department at 757-253-4813 if you have questions. All septic tank information should be submitted to the Planning Division at the time an application for a subdivision is submitted. The Planning Division will then forward the data to the Health Department for review and approval.

The Health Department strongly recommends that an applicant hire a consultant to collect and provide the requested soils and drain field data. If a consultant is not available, the Health Department will provide the needed information. In these instances, the applicant must provide a copy of the Health Department permit or certification letter with the subdivision application.

Show All Answers

1. What is a subdivision?
2. What do I do if I am using septic tanks?
3. What is the process for reviewing subdivisions?
4. What must I provide to obtain subdivision approval?
5. What should I do after the plan receives preliminary approval?
6. When can my plan receive final approval?
7. What should I do after the plan receives final approval?
8. Will I need any other permits?
9. Are there any special road access requirements?