COVID-19 Vaccine

To help meet the need for in-person response to questions from residents who are seeking clarity on the vaccination distribution process, the City of Williamsburg and James City County, in partnership with the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, have established an information line for the community's questions about the vaccination clinic that opened late January in the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center. The phone number is 877-724-1954.

Please note that the customer service team, provided by Colonial Williamsburg, is unable to schedule appointments at this time, and the Visitor Center clinic is not yet open to the general public. This line does not replace the Virginia Department of Heath (VDH), nor does it provide different information about the vaccine; this line is meant only to clarify information specific to the vaccination clinic at the Visitor Center and relay the most current information from VDH.

The two localities have also launched a Frequently Asked Questions page — that provides answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. This page will be kept updated with the latest information on the vaccination distribution for the Williamsburg and James City County community. 

For medical questions about the vaccine or in-depth information on the statewide phased distribution system, we advise you to continue contacting the Virginia Department of Health at and 877-ASK-VDH3 (877-275-8343). For medical emergencies, dial 911.

James City County’s COVID-19 Response

Can I get the latest County news delivered to my inbox?
Subscribe to our email distribution list. Select the "News Releases" option under the News Flash section to receive daily updates related to COVID-19 by email or text message. You can also get information about COVID-19, including case counts and other data, symptom checker, testing sites and more, directly from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH).  

What is James City County doing to help protect our community?
County officials are in regular communication with the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) to stay informed on this evolving situation.  

The County will continue to follow guidelines issued from Governor Northam’s office, and citizens are required to wear face masks in County facilities, encouraged to practice social distancing and clean hands regularly to limit disease transmission.

Are James City County offices and facilities closed?
Most James City County offices and facilities are open to the public by appointment or for limited walk-in traffic. Citizens are encouraged to wear face coverings inside public facilities and practice social distancing. County parks are open, but please check park amenity openings and closings or call 757-259-5360 before heading out. To reach a specific County department, see the directory or call 757-253-6728.

How will the closure affect public meetings and special events?
Special events hosted by County departments, such as Fido Fest, have been suspended during the pandemic. Some events may be rescheduled for a future date. Contact County departments directly to get information about specific events.

Some public meetings may be rescheduled, postponed or continued online or with social distancing guidelines. 

What can I do if I am facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Contact Social Services at 757-259-3100 to find information on programs and services that can assist individuals and families. Contact the Office of Economic Development at 757-253-6607 for information on programs and services that can assist businesses.

James City Service Authority (JCSA) has temporarily suspended all service disconnections due to nonpayment. Other utilities and service providers have made similar announcements. Check with individual companies for details.

The James City County Board of Supervisors has elected to absorb the convenience fees for credit/debit card payment. Payments made online for personal property taxes, real estate taxes, recycling invoices, landfill coupon books and bulk pickup will NOT be charged a convenience fee at this time. If you have any questions, please contact the Treasurer’s office at 757-253-6705. 

What can I do to help my community at this time?
Call 757-259-5403 if your organization has volunteer needs or if you are interested in volunteering. 

Accessing County Services 

How can I drop off documents or payments for County departments? Many County departments have drop boxes outside their offices where you can drop off documents.

Social Services

How do I contact Social Services? 
Call the main office number for Social Services at 757-259-3100.  

You can apply for Benefit Programs by calling 855-635-4370 or visiting For questions regarding Benefit Programs, call 757-259-3131 during the hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. You can use the agency drop box located in the parking lot to leave paperwork or applications at 5249 Olde Towne Road.  

For questions about other needs, call 757-259-3115 during the hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.  

James City Service Authority (JCSA)

How do I contact the James City Service Authority (JCSA)?
JCSA Customer Service is available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at 757-253-6800 to answer questions on bills, starting/stopping service, tap fees, sub-meters and other billing related matters. JCSA Engineering & Operations is available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. at 757-229-7421 to answer questions on engineering, inspections and other non-billing matters. 

How can I pay my JCSA water and/or sewer bill? 
Go to or make a one-time payment over the phone by calling 1-844-257-6063. There is no charge; just have your 10-digit account number available and follow the instructions to pay using your Debit or ATM card, checking or savings account or Visa, MasterCard or Discover.  

How can I calculate and pay my JCSA tap fees?  
Call JCSA Customer Service at 757-253-6800 for assistance in calculating tap fees. Tap fee payments via check can be mailed to JCSA, 119 Tewning Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188. 

General Services

Are Convenience Centers open?
All Convenience Centers are operating under normal business hours. Questions? Call 757-565-0971.  

When will my recycling be picked up? 
Curbside Recycling service continues to follow a normal pickup schedule. Questions? Call 757-253-6700. 

Commissioner of the Revenue & Treasurer

I have a question about my taxes. Who do I call? 
Staff is available by calling the Treasurer’s Office at 757-253-6705 to assist with any tax related questions.  

Is the Treasurer’s Office open?
Yes, the office is open to the public, we but strongly encourage any business requiring interaction be conducted by telephone for safety.

Are there ways to pay that do not require personal interaction?
Yes. Payments can be made:

  • Online at
  • By telephone at 855-329-4498
  • By using drop boxes located at the James City County Government Center and the Satellite Services office

Is there a cost to pay online and/or by credit or debit card?
No. Convenience fees for debit and credit card payments will continue to be waived through Dec. 31, 2020. Payments made online for personal property taxes, real estate taxes, recycling invoices, landfill coupon books and bulk pickup will NOT be charged a convenience fee.

Is there a penalty for late payment of personal property and real estate taxes?
The Board of Supervisors voted to not charge a late payment penalty for personal property tax payments made between June 6, 2020 and midnight, Aug. 5, 2020. Interest will be charged at a rate of rate of ten percent (10%) per annum (about .83% monthly) for all payments made after June 5, 2020. As a result, the balance due for payments made after June 5, 2020 will be different from the amount printed on your original bill.  Please contact the Treasurer’s Office for your current balance before making your payment: 757-253-6705.


Where can I find information about court proceedings? 
The Courts will record information on their status at the following telephone numbers: 

The Clerk of the Circuit Court’s office is open and working with a limited amount of staff. They continue to process marriage license, provide notary service, concealed handgun permits, civil and criminal filings and recording deeds. 


Which businesses are allowed to open at this time? 
Find the most recent public health guidelines and Executive Orders from the Governor's Office here.

I work at an essential business, but I am concerned that they are not following health and safety guidelines. What do I do?
All essential retail establishments must, to the extent possible, adhere to social distancing recommendations, enhanced sanitizing practices on common surfaces, and other appropriate workplace guidance from state and federal authorities. If you are concerned your employer is not following these guidelines, please contact our local office of the Virginia Department of Health. You may email them at or if you would like to speak to someone directly, please call the Peninsula Health District COVID-19 Call Center at 757-594-7069. They are open from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., Monday-Friday.

Scams & Rumor Control

Where do I report a scam? 
Scammers are taking advantage of fears surrounding COVID-19. Make sure you and your family members are familiar with these new scams. Examples:

  • COVID-19 Tests
  • COVID-19 Treatments
  • COVID-19 Vaccines
  • Demanding immediate payment to avoid utility shut off
  • Requesting your personal information in order for you to receive your stimulus check or other financial relief
  • Selling of fraudulent hand sanitizers and/or medical supplies
  • Offering work-at-home schemes

If you are unsure about a request or an offer that you receive, please contact James City County Police at 757-566-0112 before providing any personal/financial information or payment.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is cautioning the public to be on the lookout for scammers taking advantage of fears surrounding COVID-19. The FTC and U.S. Food and Drug Administration have jointly issued warning letters to seven sellers of unapproved and misbranded products, claiming they can treat or prevent the COVID-19. For more information, or to file a complaint, call 1-877-FTC-HELP or visit

I’ve seen price gouging. Where can I report it?
Price-gouging protections are in effect now that Virginia is under a State of Emergency. If you see excessive price increases for COVID-19 necessities, report it to the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline, 1-800-552-9963 or 804-786-2042, between 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

Stress & Coping

The outbreak of COVID-19 may be stressful for people. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children and different people react in different ways. Here are some resources that can help you and the people you care about cope with stress: 

  • If you or a loved one is feeling overwhelmed, get support 24/7 by calling the CDC’s Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. 
  • For anyone affected by abuse and needing support, call The National Domestic Violence Hotline, 1-800-799-7233 or if you are unable to speak, go to or text LOVEIS to 22522.